Monday, February 28, 2005

Overheating NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

I have used a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 graphics card for several years now. Recently I started having problems with in-game graphics. The screen would freeze completely for up to 30 seconds, then return to normal. Sometimes the freeze would end in a crash. Polygons started flickering in certain areas of the screen. I had problems with every game I tried to run, about 10 in total.

I tried installing the latest drivers, updating DirectX to 9.0c and then reinstalling Windows. None of it helped.

When I finally opened the case, the graphics card was red hot. The fan/heatsink combo was clogged up with dust and grime. I used a knife blade to unscrew the tiny screws holding on the cover and cleaned it out. Now it works fine.

I'm posting this here so that others with overheating NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 cards can find the solution.