Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Abolition of Liberty

Last night I was worried that I might be roused at 4am by the police kicking down the door and carting me off to jail without charge or trial. I have not committed any crime, I am not a terrorist, yet I was still afraid. Do I hear you ask why? It was because I was discussing politics with my wife.

You would be excused for thinking that the above paragraph was written in nazi Germany, but in fact I'm living in England in 2005, increasingly becoming a repressive police state.

Under the provisions of the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005 (if I read it correctly) the Secretary of State can make me the subject of a control order. This is reviewed by a court afterwards. If the control order affects my Article 5 right to liberty it must be made by a court. After the SoS applies for an order I can be arrested and held for up to 4 days. Section 1(4) lists some possible obligations that could be imposed on me. If I contravene any obligations "without a reasonable excuse" I am guilty of an offence punishable "[by] imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or [by] a fine, or [by] both."

This is an improvement on the original bill, but I am disgusted that our supposed government ever introduced it. I won't go on about it, I'm sure it is being covered very widely elsewhere, but Blair is NOT getting my vote. Fuck off you asshole! How dare you 'liberate' other countries in my name and then try to strip me and my fellow citizens of our freedom. We won't stand for it and you will pay.

The enemies of freedom are among us, and their names are George and Tony.