Saturday, March 05, 2005

Say goodbye to air guns

Thanks to this and the Nanny State, they are surely on their way out, and soon.

My dad bought me an air rifle when I was 10 years old, and taught me "never, ever, even in fun, [to] point a gun at anyone". When I was 14 I was given a .410 shotgun. I also owned various air pistols, a BB pistol and numerous cap guns. I am happy to say I never shot anyone, although this is hardly some great achievment. I think it must be because I was taught to view guns as dangerous weapons and take appropriate precautions. Oh, and also I didn't want to end up in prison.

It is undoubtedly a tragedy that the toddler died, but banning air guns isn't the answer. The man they arrested is 27 years old. If he wanted to hurt someone he could do so by any number of means. Will we ban garden forks or hammers or nail guns or snowballs or chainsaws on the basis that they could hurt people? Maybe we should instead concentrate on educating people, making them take some responsibility for their actions and making sure they know there are dire consequences for hurting other people.

Banning things just makes people ignorant about them.

UPDATE: 6th March - further developments.